Tuesday, April 01, 2008

BSG4

I remember my initial hesitation at the thought of a "Re-Imagined" Battlestar Galactica. I remember being intrigued by the concept, wondering if it would work, KNOWING that a female Starbuck was a moronic idea. I watched the mini-series, jaw on the floor...and this was all before the revelation at the end. I went downstairs and my wife said all the color was drained from my face...and then I laughed out loud and began to try to explain what I just saw.

Here we are, at the last season of BSG. All questions are going to be answered, Earth will be found, and I'll be watching the re-runs for years and years to come. Never before has a show, much less a sci-fi show dealt so deeply with human struggle and complex emotions on the level that this show has. The realization as we near the end is that we've been given a chance to look at the social relevance of what Adama said right before the Cylon attack: "You can't play God and expect to wash your hands of what you've created..." I forget sometimes that this is even science fiction when faced with the depth of a statement like that.

For the record, there is only one Starbuck, and her name is Katte Sackhoff.

I think it's fair to say that when all is said and done, BSG must go down as THE most relevant and well-executed television events in the history, not only of the genre, but very easily of the medium. Fasten your frackin' seat belts, it's time to find out who number 5 is...if they think we can take it. I have my guesses, and they are probably yours too if you've paid attention. Will we agree? Are we right? Will it shock us? Will it make us have a conniption? And, when they DO find Earth, will it be 1980?

(((03)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home