Tuesday, September 30, 2008

4th Post? (or...unsuccessfully coping with an unhealthy morning dose of condescension)


I've posted at least 4 times at length about agoraphobia and am a little miffed that someone would try to talk down at me and suggest I don't know the difference between agoraphobia and claustrophobia. Especially someone I respect and consider a friend and especially because now I feel that the whole point and atmosphere of the original story is completely lost.

First, let me take a second to point out what that someone tried to call me out on (please note the "I could be wrong..." followed up with the very condescending and WRONG definition and diagnosis):

"I could be wrong, but I suspect you've got your "Agora" and your "Claustro"s mixed up.

An Agoraophobic is panicked by wide open spaces, so wouldn't be too bothered about the hell that you've been through..."

Now, let me share just a tiny little part of my last blog on agoraphobia which was posted Friday, August 29:

"Agoraphobia today describes severe and pervasive anxiety about being in situations from which escape might be difficult or embarrassing and/or from which help may not be available should a panic attack occur."

The ignorant belief that agoraphobia is just a fear of "wide open spaces" is the whole reason I post about it in the first place. It is a complex disorder about which I've tried to educate, and I feel that for my efforts it was more important to try to call me out on something about which someone knew very little and to do it thoughtlessly at my expense.

I feel I just couldn't let the condescending, passive aggressive comment go without saying something. I've learned that the best way to not have to repeat yourself is to make sure your point is crystal clear. That being said, it's over now and life goes on.

If anyone hasn't read any of my post's on agoraphobia, they have been sprinkled all over this blog for the last 2 years and are loaded with actual facts. For the most recent post, click here. Peace.

(((03)))

4 Comments:

Blogger Pennine_Lad said...

I really wasn't deliberately being condescending Matt, and have only highlighted my own ignorance by my comment.

I utterly apologise for the offence it has caused you and will read harder before making such ill-informed comments in future!

I was simply relying on what I'd been taught, which illustrates how wrong one can be.....

All the best.

James

7:04 AM  
Blogger MKA said...

James,

Thank you for your comment today and I apologize if I've upset you. I think a part of me took out on you what I've dealt with from others and tried to use you as an example and for that I apologize. I am not upset with you and hope that we remain friends and that you'll excuse my knee-jerking.

Matt

7:15 AM  
Blogger Pennine_Lad said...

No worries, I didn't mean to cause offence either.

For the record I went through several years of panic attacks, mostly associated with crowded spaces, I still absolutely hate city centre shopping and avoid it like the plague, though the anxiety has more or less faded away into history, Christmas shopping is still utter hell! What I thought was an irregular heartbeat...when I thought my heart was actually stopping, when the inside of my head was screaming at me to run, it was all pretty unpleasant stuff, but akin to the worst speed ever, as my adrenal gland went into over-production....simply awful. But neither of the two labels I incorrectly mixed up were ever mentioned.

In fact when the panic attacks first started the Dr tried to blame my parents and all sorts of things, and the meds they gave me only heightened the effects, but like I said, it's history now. So I do have a fair idea of some of what you have to put up with, and hope it subsides sooner rather than later.

James

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Panic disorder is one of several anxiety disorders. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), anxiety disorders are the most common of all psychiatric disorders. The anxiety disorders include agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, social phobia, specific phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder. http://www.xanax-effects.com/

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home