Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Big SOMETHING!

Last night I watched a movie I didn't even know existed until last week called Big Nothing. It stars David Schwimmer (yes, Ross), Alice Eve, Natascha McElhone, the ALWAYS amazing Jon Polito and one of my favorite people, not to mention actors, Simon Pegg.

The film was directed by Jean-Baptiste Andrea and was released back in December of 2006 to not much in the way of any acclaim apparently. Although after viewing the film, I CANNOT imagine why as I found it a great watch.

I'll not go into detail about the film as it would be impossible to even begin to make you understand without re-printing the script. This movie is dark, funny, complicated and well photographed and as Jon Polio himself said "reminds you of an early Cohen Brothers film." And Jon should know since he's been in 5 of those...

One very weird thing about the film was watching Simon perform with an American accent...I mean, he does so without ever giving on that he's British...something so few Americans can do when the roles are reversed...but then maybe I'm a tougher critic about that then most. (I'm talking to YOU DiCaprio! Shame on you for Blood Diamond) anyway...

This entire cast was fantastic save for an over-zealous Mimi Rogers whom ironically some dip-shit from "The Guardian" seems to hold in the only regard for anyone he has involved with this movie. I thought her part, as small as it was, was overplayed and as pivotal as it is to the storyline, was so not in need of being overstated. But, it doesn't ruin the movie by any means, just not on her payroll is all. (smiles)

Long story short, see this movie! It's for fans of the Cohens, darkened, semi-noir, black comedy. Do not however, go into it thinking this is another Edger Wright film. Judge it on it's own merit. This writer did and dug the hell out of it!

(((03)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home